12 volt alternative in a 24 volt vehicle

From: tedhils@cyber-south.com
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 12:56:07 PDT

    Here's something that may interest you guys that are trying to power 12
volt trailer brakes, lights, cb radios, stereos, computers, etc. in your
trucks.....
    I just got in some of the dual voltage 100 amp generators like go on the
M series vehicles. YES... DUAL VOLTAGE; 14V and 24V. The were originally
on a couple of the Hmmwv models. They have the regular 28 volt lug just
like all other new style military generator/alternators, but also have a
separate lug that gives off 14 volt.
    I think this might be just the answer to powering the 12 volt stuff.
You won't have to worry about over- and under- charging a 12 volt battery or
relays, or rectifiers, or rectums or any of that crap.
    The price, for a tested, good used alternator is $225.

Ted Hils
Ted's Trucks 'N Stuff
1181 County Road 560
Midland City, AL 36350