Re: [MV] 5 ton 5th wheel in Iindiana

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 25 2005 - 08:59:13 PDT

Actually that is a straight 6 engine not a V-6. I have the same engine
in my M51 dump.

One thing to keep in mind is that the max speed of that truck is about
52 mph at redline, (2800 rpm). In reality 45-50 mph is about the max
comfortable speed. That makes freeway driving pretty much out of the
question, which means you are stuck with state roads where you will
still hold up traffic if you are on busy roads. You also get to deal
with "truck routes" through every small burg between Indiana and Conn.

If you knew everything about the truck before the trip, fluid levels,
brake conditions, etc. It might be marginally reasonable. But I doubt
that you do.

MPG would be between 3-5 if it is running properly. I'd find a guy with
a hotshot setup - lightweight truck and trailer and have him haul it
back for you. The wear and tear you avoid on the truck (tires,
driveline, engine) and yourself would be worth paying $1000 to $1500.
Plus figure out the driving hours at an average speed of 40 mph (If you
were lucky). It would take a while to do that trip even if you had no
breakdowns.

Good Luck,

Dave