Re: [MV] MIL V2 LC computer parts wanted

From: J. Wiehe (j.wiehe@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 09:42:30 PDT

Pat & Chance,

They are a neat little unit with removeable hard drives in 120, 200,
& 500 MB sizes. Find one with the 500 meg for obvious reasons.
The computer, size ways, is slightly larger than a 24 case of beer.

I have heard that most are sold with no hard drives which are taken
by Uncle Sam for destruction or to be wiped before sale.

They run Win95, but if you don't have the CD-rom unit that sits below.
( See link to one that was just on Ebay at the start of June )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5204630532

You will need a copy of Win95 on floppy disks to load the operating
system. The mono-chromatic screen takes some getting used to.

The internal nicad battery pack is usually fried and won't hold a charge so
you will need the external power supply.

The internal modem is to slow for current dial up systems but some,
if not all, computers came with a network card installed that uses a
BNC connector.

The dot-matrix printer is basically a Epson FX850 in a military style
case. ( Tempest, I think the term is ).

I have a limited list of TM #'s that are used. Some have the serial numbers
from production so you can tell what your unit may have been used for.

Jim Wiehe VA3JHW
j.wiehe@sympatico.ca