RE: [MV] SINGLARS Transceiver for sale

From: Glenn Shaw (k9kato@aim.com)
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 09:12:20 PDT

The Non-Comsec or Non-icom RT1439 or PRC119 was sold to many agencies of the
fed gov and is legal to own as it is. The DRMO demils them by internal rule
just as they do with RT524s and other radios that technically do not have to
be from a legal standpoint, but other agencies such as FEMA don't always do
so, so they can be found once in a while intact and are legal to own. Most
all agencies with the RT1439 are or have dumped them and gone to the Comsec
RT1523.

The Comsec RT1523 or PRC119A is another story. It is sold by DRMO's but
must be demilled. If another Fed entity wanted to dispose of them they can
but the radio CAN NOT be possessed or sold or purchased by non-authorized
individuals or parties. It would be a federal crime.

The radio you speak of has been on Ebay for at least three times that I have
seen, and the seller has been selling them on several occaions in the past.
They are the COMSEC RT1523 PRC119A. His statement is that the COMSEC boards
along with some other ancilliary components are removed to demil the radio.
The radio can be made to work like an RT1439 NON-ICOM SINCGARS if you have a
radio tech that knows how to repair it. As far as the legal history or the
particular unit from its mil ownership to Ebay that would not be for me to
say. The ones that I see coming out of DRMO have been smashed by
sledgehammers.

I hope this info helps
Glenn