Re: [MV] Iraq winning or losing (Modified by Stephen Grammont)

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 08:04:52 PDT

At 9:50 AM -0400 7/1/05, Stephen Grammont wrote:

>The US Gov'ts leadership said Iraq had functioning WMD, functioning WMD production capabilities, and were actively seeking out more capabilities and materials.

When it comes to NBC capability, we prefer false positives to false negatives...no?

>There were no WMD or active WMD programs. Case closed.

The Daufleur (sp?) report indicated that he programs were all on pause, as soon as western inspections and oversight ended, the programs would have been restarted as quickly as possible. In the newer higher threat environment, a willingness to use such weapons and a well founded tyrannical leadership says one thing to me. Take Saddam our of power.

>As for Chris' comments about "funky stuff" found, all of this has been explained as not being WMD. If ANY of it were even remotely related to the question of WMD, it would have been noted as such.

Dual use precursors. The chemical steps from Chemicals used for pesticide to G agents is very short. In fact, G agents and VX were developed out of experiments to develop new pesticides. They're pretty standard organophosphates,

>I agree with this logic, but unfortunately the logical conclusion in 2003 would have been to invaded Iran or North Korea, not Iraq. Unlike Iraq, these other two countries are controlled buy nuts *and* it is proven fact that they have WMD. Cripes, Iran looks to have just "elected" (I use that term loosely) as President one of the guys behind the embassy hostage crisis.

As farked up as Iran is, they do have a potential for going right in a decade. Their younger population is so pro western, they make Russian kids (and soldiers) buying Blue Jeans off tourist during the cold war look conservative.

> Talk about a big slap in the face. But our country is now over committed militarily and financially, and we've pissed off most of the world so there isn't much we can do except saber rattle. That disturbs me.

NK it tricky, and significant moves on them really does a horrible number on the civilians in Soeul South Korea. The civilians are too danger close for us to make the first move lightly.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -