m38a1 hot coil

From: timothy.smith1@att.net
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 20:11:50 PDT

Ok fellas, after much review of what I did or did not do when breathing life back into this old jeep.

I'm pretty sure that I forgot to polarize the charging system and the charging system was showing no output (though I was trying to check this using the old "original" gauge whose ability to measure anything any longer is very questionable.) but in any case it was recording no charging activity.

In any case, because I had no time to address the charging system difficulties, (again, I had forgotten to polarize the system) I was content to run it off the batteries.

Over the course of that weekend, I put a battery charger on the batteries (disconnecting the positive cable before doing it) just to be sure I had sufficent juice for the next training exercise.

So here is the million dollar question....let us suppose for the moment that the charging system is still viable, just not polarized as I have described. If I ran the jeep in this condition, might this have in some way caused the coil to heat up?

For our British cousins....sorry to hear about the latest. We've heard two unexploded devices were recovered. That's great evidence. Only a matter of time before you get the bad guys.

Regards
TJ