[MV] m38a1 hot coil/ polarity

From: chris case (chriscase@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Fri Jul 08 2005 - 12:42:44 PDT

I once charged a dead battery backwards, it worked fine. But the truck had
an alternator, so it's diodes were a direct path to ground, making a GIANT
spark when I hooked the battery back up. Amp gauge showed big CHARGE too.
Sooo, I'm once again asking if something in your system may be hooked
backwards, since coils hooked bass-ackwards do get hot. Turning on
headlights should show a detectable discharge on the ammeter. Polarising of
the GENERATOR must match the battery, or no go. Or maybe you just have a
bad coil, can you jury-rig a cheap civvie coil to try ?

I had to drain my battery completely dead to re-charge it in the correct
polarity. I tried leaving my lights on, but all the good Samaritans in the
neighborhood came by to tell me my lights were on, or they just turned them
off for me. I had to pull the battery and hot wire a loose headlight to it
to drain it so I could recharge it properly.

M38's didn't have a + ground, did they? Dodges did in WWII...