Re: [MV] M105A2

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Sun Jul 10 2005 - 12:06:01 PDT

Terry,

The way the military trailers are made with sheetmetal and overlapping
spot welded seams, keeping rust out of the seams is very difficult with
only paint.

I have lived in the rust belt my entire rustfilled life, and the only
way I know how to keep rust from coming back through seams is to apply
some type of rust preventative compound to the backside of the seam.
The military does the same thing. I have two military trucks both from
the midwest and they did a very nice rustproofing job on both trucks.

JC Whitney sells a decent rustproofing tool set and the corresponding
compound in 1 liter bottles. It works and compared to sandblasting and
painting, it's pretty cheap.

I have a 78 chevy van that lived it's entire life in the midwest it is
still intact only because of rustproofing compound.

Dave