M35 Wheel Bearings Hot

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 19:44:48 PDT

Greetings,

Trying to get ready for the Iola WI show and did a brake job on the M35
including all new bearings and seals, also did the M105 Trailer. In case
your asking why, I found a large number of very pitted bearings, also
several oil soaked brakes. But anyway, took the rig out for a test drive,
the front hubs and the hubs on the trailer are running at best warm as I
would expect, but all 4 rear hubs are so hot that you can hold your hand on
them for all of 1 or 2 seconds. I figured perhaps I had set the bearings to
tight, so I Ioosened all 4 of them and repeated the test, same result, but
this time I noticed that the source of the heat was clearly in the vicinity
of the outer bearing. Upon closer examination I could see that as I would
tighten up the inner nut, the seal would contact the outer bearing cup and
then start deflecting, thus putting some amount of axial force on the seal
contact area that is perhaps more than it should be. It's hard to imaging
that this is the source of the heat as my test drive was all of 8 miles, but
I see no other explanation at this point.

Has anyone here replaced bearings and seals on the rear hubs and seen this?
Are there perhaps different versions of the seal, one that might have less
lip protrusion perhaps??? Has anyone tried running without the outer seals?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

later,

je