new air conditioning project for the S280 shelter

From: Patrick Jankowiak (recycler@swbell.net)
Date: Thu Jul 28 2005 - 19:02:47 PDT

It's hot in Texas.

After discovering that 8000BTU won't cut it, I have started on a
project to add 13500BTU more capacity to the S-280 shelter for
these hot Texas days. Naturally I am doing this project in the
summer.

(The correct military air conditioning kit is made of unobtanium.)

A window A/C of 13500 BTU capacity is much too heavy to mount
without using the correct military mounting points, so I am
building a split system to hang a condensing unit on the outside
of the shelter and place the evaporator inside.

This shows the work done so far, which took about a 14 hours to
do, including sorting through a pile of dead air conditioners for
a good evaporator coil and removing it.

http://rawfire.torche.com/~opcom/moreac/index.html

The next steps are to build up the evaporator housing, condensate
pan and drain, and the blower assembly. I'll post more pictures
as it goes.

PJ