M813A1 charging problems

From: joeyounginc@aol.com
Date: Fri Jul 29 2005 - 10:41:21 PDT

My M813A1 is trying to wear me out. I started it up often
over the winter to keep the batteries charged, but last week
when I started it, it was not charging. I had to start it a few
times to move it and got the same thing - no charge. So I
put the switches on and made sure the exciter wire was hot.
I didn't start it, but figuring the alternator was bad, I bought
a brand new one. Started truck up so I could move it over
to my shop and the darn thing was showing a good charging
rate. I shut it off and started it several times and it showed
charging every time. I do not have manuals for this truck, so
my question is whether or not the control box is involved
in the charging circuit and I'm open for any suggestions as
to why the truck did this.
Thanks in advance,
Joe Young