Tires and tire discounts

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Sun Aug 07 2005 - 21:54:30 PDT

Arthur,

I have to take partial exception to what you say. I run a business and
have a few trailers and a couple of trucks. I have found that since I
have a business I can deal with tire wholesalers who supply tires to
manufacturers. Sometimes these companies are distributors who have no
retail areas at all. Othertimes I have dealt with larger retailers and
they have even offered further discounts with them if I setup an account
with their company. I just bought 6 tires from a wholesaler last week
for a triaxle trailer and the tires mounted on new rims were $60 each.
The same tire, if you were to buy from a retailer would be $70 without a
rim. Retail demountable rims such as the ones supplied go for about $35
each retail. If I was to buy the same tires from my local tire dealer,
they would have been $70+$35+$7 for mounting or $112 each. So I saved
about $52 per tire and wheel. Now this is probably the extreme
situation (I think?) but it illustrates how things can work.

The only way I was able to do that was due to the fact that they are a
wholesaler and they only want to deal with other companies. I knew what
I wanted and the transaction took about 5 minutes.

You can bet that trucking companies are not paying normal retail to
setup their rigs also.

There is a seller on Ebay selling used 11x20 NDT tires in the midwest
(Iowa I think) at rock bottom prices. Like $25 each, etc. Shipping
isn't cheap but perhaps a ride with a trailer in tow might be worth the
savings.

Dave