M548 winch problem

From: Douglas B Rupp (rupp@gnat.com)
Date: Sun Aug 07 2005 - 22:41:40 PDT

I had to use the winch to pull myself up an embankment today. It's a driven
by a PTO off the transmission. Putting the transmission in "2-3" and pulling
a knob on the shifter engages the PTO. The winch is supposed to pull in
either neutral or "1" (low gear). I've used it frequently in neutral for
logging but haven't had occasion to use it as a recovery winch before
although I did test it in "1" last year on level ground and it seemed to
work fine.

Today however it wouldn't pull in "1" and I ended up shearing the winch pin
pulling in neutral (but it did get me far enough up the embankment for the
tracks to take hold).

Any thoughts on why it would work in neutral but not "1"?

--Douglas