Re: [MV] Winch Cable and implications

From: Squirt_Truck (squirt_truck@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 14:46:07 PDT

Well said on the hazards of winch cables.
Wire rope under load can and will kill.

The winch on the 5-tons (front mounted) are #20,000 (cap.) on the first
lay of the drum and have 5/8" wire rope. The wreckers have 280' that
fills the spool and all others have 200'(one less lay less on the
spool)

Someone on the list here has a test report from a company that tested
small winch cables, the results were not comforting.

Use the shear pins, then you will not have failed rope to worry about,
BUT do spool off and inspect on a regular basis if you use it.

Squirt Truck

Yahoo! Mail