Re: [MV] Winch Cable ?

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 15:51:43 PDT

At 5:19 PM -0400 8/8/05, Chris Brunner wrote:
>Flame suit on:
> There are manufactures of synthetic winch cable that would be up to the weight you need. In addition to that when synthetic snaps it drops dead - doesn't carry anywhere near the kinetic resistance. Although it's not restoration material, it's a hell of a lot more safe. We use it all the time on the work trucks, the only thing to watch out for is chaffing.

Wow, first I'd heard of it. But, it makes sense given how spectra and kevlar have become so common. A quick google search showed some makers, some product reviews and some how tos. Warn recommends against them due to the heat from their brakes on the winches, but, in our case would it be an issue? Once we release the brakes on our PTO winches they free spool right?

5/16" rope rated at 13,700 lbs for $1.45/foot and only weighs 2.4 pounds per 100'.

7/16" weighing 4.2lbs per 100' and having a test of 23,925 lbs

They even make a 1/2" rope that's rated to 36,250lb! $660 for 200'

They make an OD green rope too!

Here's a catalog page:
http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/recovery/ropes.htm

Wow, the pain of paying for a winch for my 5 Ton just got far far less.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -