Re: [MV] Winch Cable ?

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Aug 09 2005 - 15:01:48 PDT

At 10:47 PM +0000 8/9/05, david gudmunsen wrote:
>Sure Randy and others,
>
>http://www.samsonrope.com/home/recmarine/catalogs/index.cfm
>
>Get the catalogue PDFs for industrial and also check Amsteel Blue catalogue.
>Get back to me if you need further info. The stuff is readily available and
>relatively cheap.

Relatively cheap nothing. When you add up the lighter weight, low cost of shipping, durability and then just the lower cost, it's amazing the military isn't using it already. They use similar stuff for holding up live loads on repelling line. This stuff appears to be even more solid than repelling line or dynamic rope because it has an inherent UV resistance. I have to wonder about chemical resistance. Seems like a canvas water proof cover would be a good thing to add to the 'field kit' for winch equipped trucks.

The absolute biggest thing is that it doesn't store energy like wire rope does.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -