Re: [MV] Winch Cable ?

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 12:12:43 PDT

At 10:32 AM -0500 8/10/05, MV wrote:
>If they started hanging that type of rope on overhead cranes, then I would start to considering it for general winch use. I wonder how abrasion resistant it is?
>
>The fact that it doesn't store energy can be a bad situation. Sure no one wants to have a wire rope break and recoil like a spring - but on the otherhand if you get into a shock loading situation, you really want the rope to absorb the energy since it will spring and deform before it will break. Hopefully the spring action will absorb the shock load and the rope not break. If the synthetic stuff has no spring action, then a slight shock load could send it over the top of it's tensile strength very easily and the rope break.

Aparently it was developed for marine use initially. Hauling nets and such. You're right though, there's dynamic and static rope applications that are specific. The problem is that the steel rope we use for lifting tends to have the dynamic characteristics and that's where we have a severe hazard in winching situations.

>I can pickup up 5/8" and heavier wire rope in just about any larger city and not pay any shipping cost.

You're paying for shipping costs in the cost to move the product from manufacturer to vender too.

>I remember unloading a tractor off my trailer. I had a winch line attached to the front of the tractor to "control" the rolloff from the trailer. The tractor started rolling before the winch line got tight. The cable went tight suddenly as the tractor rolled easier than I had expected. The shock load didn't break the cable but the pressed on ferrule let go. In that case it would have been nice if the wire rope had stretched a little bit more to dampen the shock load.

Better if you'd been able to take up the slack on the winch before. ;-)

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -