Re: [MV] Testing the "New" winch cable

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 16:52:22 PDT

At 4:14 PM -0700 8/10/05, Squirt_Truck wrote:
>Guys,
>Whoever had that article from that company that tested the winches for
>the HMMWV's should get them to test this synthetic stuff. (Or a group
>of us get them to do the testing.)
>But, there is something wrong with the concept that there is no stored
>energy. First, if it has no give, and no stored energy, then it will
>not have ANY shock strength, and like has been said, will snap if
>jolted. Second, the web site given indicates stretch of 1% or greater
>under load, that means stored energy.

Its probably very much like climbing rope.

You have static rope which is great for repelling
and such. You don't use it for climbing however.
It won't take a fall. Each is used for a given
situation.

Now, I have to wonder why would you expect to
have a properly set up pulling situation have
some kind of need for tension? Second, do you
think that the breaking strength is lower than
the equivalent wire rope? It's not based on what
I've seen.

The storage of energy is much lower and the mass
is lower too, so, that means that the rope isn't
going to snap back like steel cable will. Some
tests would be nice to see, but based on weight,
cost, and low energy store alone, I'm inclined to
get that for my winch when I get one.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)