RE: [MV] M813 towing capacity??

From: Joe Garrett (j.garrett@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 21:45:39 PDT

By legal I meant that you wouldn't get a citation at a truck scale for
overloading your truck. In the State of Washington, you have to pay (in
advance) an annual weight fee (called tonnage) and then put a placard on the
side of your truck indicating your authorized GVWR. If you pull into a
truck scale and are over that weight, it is BIG trouble. You can't buy more
tonnage than your manufacturer's stated GVWR. On these trucks, that is the
amount indicated on the dash data plate.

In my opinion, the safety constraint on all these military trucks is braking
(of which the lousy tires are a component), not horsepower, springs, or
axles.

Joe Garrett