Re: [MV] M1009 starter?

From: chriscase (chriscase@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 15:10:51 PDT

My current starter, like some other parts of the truck, is suffering from
"RTFM-itis". The FM always starts a section with " remove the bolts, discard
the lock washers" sooo, soldiers One and Two typically re-assemble without
lock washers. In the case of the starter, it was assembled without the lock
collar over the wire snap ring. The absence of the collar allowed the drive
to get pushed so far forward that it was milling it's way through the
nose-cone. It finally got so far forward that the internal splines on the
drive got beyond the splines on the shaft. It made a noise like a drive that
was grinding the ring gear. A stack of washers fixed it for now.....