Re: [MV] The Great Raid

From: Employee at MILVEHCO (milveh@dslextreme.com)
Date: Sat Aug 13 2005 - 08:21:02 PDT

The raid is fairly correct from a historical perspective, I liked the
movie overall. They couldn't come close to the real brutality and
starvation of the troops although they did their best. Hard to find grown
men willing to drop down to 85 lbs for the sake of a movie!

I don't recall the Japanese changing the guard to an elite murder squad in
the final days of the camp, nor fortifying it with tanks...I think
Hollywood took some liberties there. The tanks were hokey, but you can't
get a Japanese light tank anywhere that runs. They had to use an M48 in a
couple of remote scenes. The troop transports were accurate. Uniforms
accurate right down to the rip stop material, except they were too new,
way too green. Needed some fading to look right, IMO. Also, they were
wearing rank and those infantry crossed rifles on their fatigues. Even
in WWII, nobody I know ever wore such ID visible to snipers and they
didn't go around saluting too much like they did in the movie. Also
Rangers didn't take voice commands in the field to my knowledge it was all
hand signals usually by the first sergeant, not the C/O. Overall I liked
it...worth watching for sure.

Jack

Jess Minton