Re: [MV] Winch Cable ?

From: noel shelley (noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sat Aug 13 2005 - 12:15:22 PDT

Morning Boys ,
                          All this talk of stretch / no stretch , elongation
Etc.
Picture this , DUKW on it`s wheels , settling into the sand with tide aready
round it , engine US , weight about 7 tons !
Landrover{MV } heavylly laden , over 3 tons, uphill sloping sandy beach .
If asked could I move it I would have said " no chance " BUT I`m silly
enough to try most
things once ! IF I failed there was the likely hood that the tide would get
me as well ,and Landrovers don`t float !
To my great supprise I was able to tow the DUKW ,150 yds to safety !
The key was the100ft 1½" nylon anchor rope , with it`s 50% stretch , used
as a spring ! I was already flat out {5mph } in low 1st before the rope
started to take the load , and off we went !
PLEASE DON`T TRY THIS WITH STEEL ROPE , CHAINS , or if you can afford it
Dynema ! SOMETHING WILL BREAK !!!!

 The Village Idiot, Noel { it`s my turn this week , Ron }