A little more on the ACU

From: Scherrer, Tim (scherrert@missouri.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 20:15:28 PDT

Despite some inconsequential sniping, there seems to be some interest in the topic, so I can expland a little more on the ACU for those who may own Humvees, etc.

Right now Army clothing sales don't have them. They aren't expected to get them until April of 06, so people are getting them elsewhere. A few units are getting them, specifically those going to Iraq. I heard the 4th ID got two sets of ACUs, and will make up the difference with their DCUs until they get full issue.

The Cav Store is listing them but mine have been backordered since late June. I got mine from Ranger Joe's, who are shipping them now. The going rate now is about $49 the shirt and pants. You have to wear desert type boots with them, so expect to pay about $250 by the time you get the pants, shirt, boots, insignia and caps. My boots are Belleville Shoe Company in Belleville, IL. Their boots are the absolute best in my opinion. I've worn a pair of their Marine Infantry boots for years now and they are like tennis shoes.

You have to order the ACU specific nametapes, which are velcroed on the back. Also the rank insignia is specifically made for it, as well as you can get ACU American Flags ready to go with velcro. Unit patches you have to get the conversion kit, which is a velcro packet you cut and glue or sew on to the back of a normal patch to stick on the patch spots on the sleeves. There are also some funky Infra red sensitive patches out there too you can get if you want to spend the money.

There are four hats you can wear with it. The beret, the patrol cap, the boonie cap or the helmet. The patrol cap has velco on the back, so you need to get an extra name tape for it if you buy one, as well as pin-on rank.

I suspect most of the bigger military vendors will have them in the next month, so the price should start to drop.

FYI, also the Army has authorized the desert/tan boots with BDUs now, so thats permitted. You can wear black or tan boots with BDUs, but only tan boots with ACUs, so my 8 pair of different kinds of boots, like cold weather matterhorns, etc, will be obsolete in Dec 07.

MAJ Tim Scherrer