Transmission to transfer case propeller shaft M54A2

From: Bruce C. Beattie (bruce@EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 21:26:35 PDT

Hi Guys,
    Had a problem the other day when the truck came back from towing a
half track to a
parade and back. Was under the truck and looked up to find the propellar
shaft half
apart. Two of the bolts that hold one of the spider bearings in place
had pulled right out
and the bearing holder flange was bent. Ok, so I ordered some new
spiders to replace these.
While I am waiting to get them, I decide to clean and inspect the
assembly and prep for the
new parts. So I start to remove all the bolts. Every last one of them
were just about hand tight!
Yep, I was able to unscrew all but one with out picking up a wrench.

    Is this normal? or did someone really screw up big time when
assembling this unit?

Bruce MVPA 23824