Re: [MV] Old gas don't work

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 18:51:17 PDT

> [snip] I suspect this could have been from a loose cap and the water
> in the air here in SC (the word humidity doesn't do that justice) would
> condense each night after that solar heat up during the day. HOWEVER, does
> gas separate into different components with exposure to heat and cooling.

Unlikely. There are likely two things going on:

First, as you say, the can with the loose cap is 'breathing' and water gets into
the gas.

Second, also because of the loose cap, the lighter components of the gas are
evaporating and escaping. The lighter components are there to evaporate faster n
the carb. and make starting easier. 'Winter' gas has more of these components,
BTW.

Dark colored cans also get hotter in the sun, which makes both these effects
worse.

-John