5 ton multi-fuel run away

From: GotaM35 (gotam35@joetrapp.com)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 17:28:05 PDT

I think it has been discussed some in the past, but not owning a 5 ton I
didn't follow it real well. Having said that, I put some batteries in a 5
ton truck we bought last week at auction and cranked it up. I had removed
the intake line on the turbo in case I needed to choke it down. Good move.
We managed to get it cranked easy enough, but after it idled about 20
seconds it started to rev up. Not too quick but appeared to be headed up
out of control. I choked it down. My assistant was also pulling the shut
off cable but I choked it before he could pull the cable out. This truck is
a 73 model with a multi-fuel. I think it is a M54.

Here's the question. What is the most likely thing to check out on the
injector pump before we try to run the engine? Also, how bad white smoke in
the exhaust? We may run this truck and part out the other we have unless
this has a poor engine. In that case we are planning on removing the rear
ends and placing them in the other truck we have.

Thanks for all the help.
Joe Trapp