Re: [MV] 32,000 lost vehicles

From: Sonny Heath (sonny@defuniak.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 11:37:03 PDT

I sent you a private reply John,

Sonny

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hutterer, John (MPAU)" <john.hutterer@smiths-medical.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 12:11 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] 32,000 lost vehicles

Sonny,

The Property Book works well...in theory. I spent almost 27 years in the
Army and I have seen dozens of situations where things fell through the
cracks. Examples: a WWI Ration Breakdown Kit, in perfect condition, that
sat in an S4 store-room for years before the PBO decided to turn it in,
and then realized that it wasn't on the books; a deuce that I personally
turned in that got "lost" in the Motor Pool for two years; a UH1D Huey
helicopter that was left at a post for maintenance and not picked up for
two years. The PBO had lost track of it and forgotten that it existed.
The Army has a system for handling things like this. They call them
"found on post". I have seen instances where things like water buffalos,
trucks, generators, and jeeps have been picked up by an enterprising PBO
as "found on post" and no questions are ever asked. I would not be
surprised if many of the 32,000 "missing" vehicles could be accounted
for in this way, if only there was a way of tracking them. I know that
Property Books are now computerized, but I wonder if anyone has ever
tried to write a program that would sort through the millions of lines
of information to see if what a PBO says that he has is what he is
actually supposed to have. This is going to be an even bigger headache
when stuff starts coming back from Iraq.

John

John Hutterer
Sr. Eng. Lab Tech.
Smiths-Medical (Deltec)