Re: [MV] Corvette vs MV

From: Dave Merchant (nesys_com@ameritech.net)
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 09:02:18 PDT

Considering the low mileage, and assuming it's all original and in good
shape visually,
probably the best place to sell it would be the huge Barrett-Jackson auction
in Scottsdale, Arizona and Palm Beach, Florida.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/

The auction is televised on Speed TV.

It draws high rollers from all over the world, and the prices would make
your head spin.

You can bet the bidders will jump all over the low mileage and originality.

If you contact B-J, they can give you advice on maximizing the sale price,
by either getting it detailed, or perhaps not touching it at all.

Buyers at these auctions tend to be very knowledgeable, and add a great deal
to their bids if all the serial numbers and codes match up.

You might well find yourself with enough money for a serious piece of armor.

Dave Merchant

At 08:52 AM 8/25/2005, timothy.smith1@att.net wrote:
>Lads,
>
>Here's something I'd like to take an informal MV-list poll on.
>
>My father passed on in September last year. I receivd from his estate a
>beautiful 1980 L82 Corvette with only about 18,000 miles on the clock,
>snow white, with lipstick red leather guts. Though I really didn't want a
>Corvette, (I've owned a 63 split-window) I wasn't about to spend the rest
>of my life saying to myself that I should have taken the Vette! Anyway,
>it sat covered & unused in his garage for a very long time. It sat for so
>long, in fact, that the Goodyear Eagle GT's developed flat spots (though
>they outwardly appeared to be in excellent condition). I replaced the
>tires with a set of brand new Eagle GT II's and as a precaution, I also
>replaced the radiator hoses and belts, all of which were original to the
>car, before driving it back to San Antonio, Texas, from N. central
>Ohio. Because it just wasn't driven much by my father, the Vette hardly
>qualifies as a family heirloom in my estimation. Congestive heart failure
>has a way of making it very tough to get in !
> and out of such a low-slung car!
>
>Dad, who was only mildly interested in my interest in MV's at best (he,
>being an aviation enthusiast) always said he thought I should have
>acquired something more substantial than thin-skinnd vehicles (i.e. armor)
>though I am restoring a Scout Car. To that end, I have four questions of
>the group.
>
>Question One:
>Should I sell the Vette and roll the dough into a relatively turn-key
>half-track or other armored MV? (provided I can find one of comparable value)
>
>Qustion Two:
>Should I sell the Vette & roll the dough into the completion of the
>restoration of the Scout Car?
>
>Question Three:
>Should I offer to trade the Vette for a suitable MV?
>
>Question Four:
>Should I keep the Vette?
>
>I would be interested in everyone's perspective on this.
>
>Regards,
>TJ Smith
>Boerne, Texas

Dave Merchant