Re: [MV] DIESELS ---OTHER FUELS

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Mon Aug 29 2005 - 07:42:14 PDT

>If the engine is using the compression ignition principle, and the fuel is
>drawn in with the air , then surely the point of ignition is dependent on
>the temperature of the incoming air ?

Because the fuel gas being drawn in is light enough that it will not
compression ignite. These engines still use the Diesel injection system and
Diesel fuel, the injection of the Diesel fuel acts like a spark plug thus
setting off the rest of the charge. This will only work of the fuel is light
enough (carbon chain length I guess you'd say), with NG (methane) being the
lightest there is with one carbon, followed by ethane, propane, butane, etc.
At some point the gas will ignite under compression, certianly by the time
you get to octane (8), that is unless you run up the compression ratio on
the engine like the multi-fuels do. I've only seen these setups for
methane, as to if propane would work I do not know. I see the Diesel hot rod
guys putting propane injection on to get more power but I do not know if you
metered the propane better/differently (meaning foot throttle connected to
propane and injection pump left at idle) if this would work or not????

later,

je