Re: [MV] how do you get a truck home from Gov't liquidation

From: Bill Kealey (cwkealey@atlanticbb.net)
Date: Mon Aug 29 2005 - 20:45:39 PDT

Rich,

I haven't had to go through the ordeal myself but reading the post here and on
other list my suggestion is one word.
It's an ugly word, but I understand "BRIBERY" may be your best bet.

Sorry, couldn't restrain myself. <grin>

****************

Your best bet may be to buy from someone who has already gone through all that
mess and has one for sale that is running or at least close by. They are out
there. I had to drive over 3 hours with a friend to get my duece .... and a
whole lot longer to get back home with it. I bought it on E-bay but the seller
had so may points listed as what was right about it and hardly anything wrong
with it that I figured that if I found him to be wrong about any of it I could
at least use that as a valid reason to back out of the deal. I went and looked
at it alone the day before I picked it up. I believed then and still do that it
was everything that he said it was and bought it and a trailer. From what I
gather, I paid more than the going rate but it was titled and tagged and I
didn't have a thing to do to get it on the road. In fact, the day we went to
pick it up I stopped at the MVA (Maryland), picked up historic tags for the
truck and temp travel tags for the trailer as it is too new for historic tags.
They gave me something like 60 or 90 days to get it inspected. I almost forgot
to do so and just got it done at the last minute. But, I didn't have to hire
anyone to haul it for me. The friend is a Viet Nam vet and drove trucks for the
Army. He absolutely had to drive it home for old times sake. No argument from
me as I had never driven anything like that before. When we got it to Elkton,
MD he went over it with me and I drove it on home while he went the other way.
I have been happy with the purchase ever since. It's been a learning experience
and a lot of fun.

Hope you get one and have at least as much fun with it.

Good luck,

Bill Kealey

MVPA #24623
1954 Willys M38A1 USMC jeep
Associate Member USMC League - Mountainside Marines
1972 AM Gen M35A2 USA 2-1/2 ton truck w/winch
1985 Turtle Mountain MFG. M105A2 USAF 1-1/2 ton trailer
1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing
Assoc. Member Rawlings, MD VFD
MD DNR PD Alumni Association

*********************
HI, All
I have a couple of questions, first I was wondering why non running trucks go so
high on Gov't liquidation and how does one get one home? I thought about bidding
on a truck and called Napier Logistisic and they wanted $500 or more to load the
thing and 4.00 a mile to ship it I figured it would cost $5,700 just to ship the
thing plus the price of the truck!! I don't know about most of you folks but my
money tree isn't that ripe! I know Joe young won't buy from there and I know
this was a hot topic a while ago but since I didn't have permission to get a
Deuce from the wife then I kinda ingnored them, I guess I should have read them,
but anyway how have you folks gotten them home? Also I learned that the term
Buyer Loads means it doesn't run, any tips, teminology and ways you have gotten
one home would be helpful, also can you tow a Deuce with a pick up? Any comments
or suggestion would be apreciated
Thanks for your Time
RichB