Humanity - military - attitudes toward life, death and loss

From: david gudmunsen (kroctec@btopenworld.com)
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 13:49:38 PDT

This post is off topic and for that I apologise but still feel compelled to
express a comment

I would respectfully suggest that, of the world's population the far great
majority are neither terrorists or war mongers and that majority would wish
for little more than to continue to be able to live lives of love and care
within their families, that the countries in which they live allow them what
should be a right to live a life without fear from within or without. There
are few people who actually wish ill on others - just as well for all of us.

That there are those among us who wish ill for others is surely of great
concern to all those who would like to live healthily and in a healthy
world. Much of the military machinery all across the world has a prime
purpose of protection the well being of the 'man in the street' whether it
is in our own country or we are making efforts to free others from
oppression - further much more of military activities are of a humanitarian
nature rather than of battle (I accept than when ALL ELSE FAILS then militay
action can inevitably result).

As MV enthusiasts this automatically places us among the 'haves' as opposed
to the 'have nots' and there are many more 'have nots' in the world than
'haves' - it is right that charity should begin at home but it should also
extend to the wider world.

There are many who would say that America's main concern in Iraq is the
protection of future oil supplies, I personally hope that the main conceern
of Ameerica and her allies is to give Iraqis the measure of freedoms that we
enjoy instead of lives of oppression.

Best regards to all and especially those with friends and family who have
and are suffering loss whether from natural disaster and from war or
terrorism.

David Gudmunsen