Re: [MV] Battle of New Orleans - 2005

From: Royce C Hayes (rc_hayes1@juno.com)
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 05:38:56 PDT

If I were in charge of rebuilding or the funding for the rebuilding of
New Orleans, first and foremost, I would not allow any residential single
family dwellings, government assisted housing, or government assisted
apartments, to be funded nor rebuilt within the flood zone in New
Orleans.
If you do, as you know, history repeats itself, and the taxpayers of the
US will be paying for the rebuilding and the evacuation and rebuilding of
the same housing in the future. This type of disaster has been happening
for as long as I can remember, although it may not always be in the same
place each time.
Then, what do you do with the refuges? Let them be absorbed into society
all over the country. If they were not currently employed at the time of
the disaster, then they were not contributing to the New Orleans work
force and do not need to be returning. There is probably nothing for them
to return to anyway unless something is built for them to live in.
Royce