Nigel's comments on our military's response.

From: Wes Knettle (wsknettl@centurytel.net)
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 06:25:37 PDT

Try to remember we have a law in this country against employment of
federal troops against civilian populations. The local folks must
declare and accept Marshal Law for the troops to be inserted. Also this
is a huge flood surface with very little dry land to work with. The
closest airfields capable of handling the airlift necessary untill
yesterday like Alexandria LA are over a hundred miles away from New
Orleans. Until the civilian leadership yields the command to the
military the use of lethal force by the military is restricted to
defensive only. The video available to date has all shown the civilian
police being very restrained in the use of lethal force which encourages
the behavior from the bad guys we have been seeing.

Try to also remember we have 3 states lower portions with complete
devestation. An area larger the England. This widens the area of land
inaccessability and slows the arrival of National Guard personnel. Today
with New Orleans airport open the Guard is landing in strength as we
write these notes. It would be interesting to see your governments
capabilities if all of England south of an east-west line through
Norwich was currently flooded or full of hurrican debris and damage and
full of gangs roaming the city streets.

I haven't seen any European country deal with a national catastrophe
involving a sudden death toll in the thousands in their own country in
recent history. So I can't see any yardstick that can be used to
accurately score our current response.

An American

Wes Knettle