Re: [MV] Rebuilding - commentary on US response to Katrina disaster

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 09:57:13 PDT

Since when did logic ever apply to where cities, housing, factories, and
high rises were built?

If this country actually used logic to plan the avoidance of disasters,
there would be little to no buildings on the shores of Florida, mobile
homes would be banned in Florida, no one would be allowed to build near
the San Andreas fault which runs through several major cities in
California, no buildings would be allowed on the sand bars off the
mainland of the east coast, no buildings would be allowed to be built in
Denver where they are sure to run out of fresh water in the next 10
years, etc.

This country is propelled by money - and that makes for decisions that
are based on the best "return on investment" instead of logic.

Regarding armchair commmentary on the US response to Katrina. We are
fair game. We blew this one big time. If you think this disaster is
bad, wait until the big one happens in California. This could be
considered a minor blip compared to the devastation that is possible in
CA. Storms like this will hit the US again. In fact it is a fairly
common occurence if you look at history.

National preparedness is not there. Troops and National Guard should
have been put on the alert and preparations readied while Katrina was
still offshore. A lack of water and food 5 days after this mess? Shame
on us. What about our national stock piles?

If Walmart had diverted 5% of the trucks they own loaded with basic
supplies to the ravaged areas, there would be no food or water shortages
period. Although some of you may still be in denial, Walmart has become
our national food storage and supply center by default. One check
written to Walmart with instructions attached would have done the trick.
    Some armed NG guards guys riding along with the trucks would have
maintained safety.

Where is the NG? I suspect in Iraq. Shortage of trucks? Iraq? We
have a ton of stuff sitting overseas guarding other hotspots like
Germany? Japan? (yeah right!) and other countries, but we can't get
significant assets to the southern part of the country in 5 days. That
is totally pathetic and unacceptable. No local communications? What
about our network of sattelite based military radio systems - ah - in Iraq?

My 12 year old daughter could have planned a better response than this
mess. The reponse is simply embarrassing.

I just about hurled when I heard Bush ask for our support of the Red
Cross and faith based assistance, but little to no mention of what the
military was doing to assist. Yeah, I'm sure that the Red Cross is
going to mobilize their fleet of helicopters, MVs, and heavy equipment
to move in and help out. Likewise the Catholic church must have an
underground supply of a few million pounds of food that I was not aware
of stuck in a few chuches. Pathetic.

I saw one M35 rolling along in NO on CNN and I was wondering where Sarge is?

Dave