Gun Truck Fabrication

From: Herr Bookmonger (bookmonger@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Sep 03 2005 - 02:04:19 PDT

I was looking for Yogi Berraisms, and chanced upon the following.
The entire page is quite interesting, particularly the parts about
"recycling" vehicle armor. Of possible especial interest to this
list is the following about the building of a gun truck.

Herr Bookmonger

Review - Correction

After coming up with the idea for a Heavy Equipment Transporter
gun truck, 1st Lt. Brian Dawson was told that the configuration
would be slow and difficult to maneuver. “I just kept to myself and
drove on,” said Dawson.

Lt. Col. Timothy Collins, commander of the 6th Transportation
Battalion, approached Dawson one afternoon in the motor pool and
expressed interest in the gun truck idea. Collins asked Dawson to
put his ideas into a working drawing.

A few days later, Dawson got word to bring a HET over to the 175th
Maintenance Company, which would build the gun truck platform.
Dawson explained to the 175th how he wanted the gun box to sit on
the fifth wheel and the ramps. The box would be bolted to the frame
with the existing lifting/towing eyes. After returning from a mission,
Dawson came back to find the floor of the gun box already welded
together, and he began brain-storming the expanded metal which
was to wrap the gun truck to protect it from RPGs. He was asked
about using ballistic blankets, but said that he didn’t think it would
matter. The idea was to get the RPG to detonate outside of the
crew area.

The gun truck began to take form. The next time he visited the
175th, after another trip to Iraq, the walls were up and the two gun
ring mounts were in place. The ideas for the platforms, kick plates,
and angle iron under the platforms to help secure gear came out in
that meeting. The idea for ammo storage also came about as the
gun rings were added. The seats, one of the final touches, were
discussed among Dawson and the 175th and KBR welders before
the platform was set on a HET provided by the 233rd
Transportation Company.

scroll down to page 10 / Review / Correction

tiny URL http://heh.pl/&1S5

full URL
http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:zJ4qMjTVGvUJ:www.dvidshub.net/media/pubs/pdf_0335.pdf+Yogi+Berraism&hl=en
seems there is tons of stuff I'll have to look at on the homepage
http://www.dvidshub.net/