Transport and turbo chargers

From: Robin Craig (therobincraig@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 04 2005 - 13:43:17 PDT

I was talking with a friend recently over the impending transport of a truck. He was having it moved by a trucking company. He is kind of new to the big truck world and in passing I mentioned the story about early turbo charger failures that the Canadian Forces experienced due to poor transport. It seemed that when the AVGP or LAV's were being sent from the factory to the bases the civvy trucking company were loading them onto drop deck detachable gooseneck trailers. In doing so they were driving the vehicles forward onto the trailers. That ended up pointing the load rearward on the trailers. Anyway, time went by and turbos were failing prematurely. Investigation revealed that the loading back to front on the vehicles from the factory was the cause. The exhaust was then pointing in the direction of travel and causing the turbos to turn all the way during transport without oil pressure to lube them, hence the early failures. A directive was then issued that in cases such as that the exhaust must be covered properly to stop the turbo turning. While to 99% of listers this might seem a no brainer, to some newbie's it might be an eye opener especially with the number of turbo charged trucks around these days.
Rgds Robin Craig