RE: [MV] Battle of East Texas - 2005 correction!

From: Nigel Hay MILWEB (nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 23:10:17 PDT

An interesting radio prog the other day focussed on how on 9/11 local radio
hams swung into action to offer emergency communications to supplement the
official services. In the UK, since the 1960's there was a large network of
hams called RAYNET - Radio Amateur Ememrgency Network , its still going now
I believe. They were prepared for such disasters and had regular exercises
and events to prove readiness. When the hurricane hit SE England in 1987
they were invaluable.
During the cold war era, the Civil Defence was provided with some odd
military and quasi military vehicles, like Commer Q2's as command posts and
radio shelters. I remember one coming into the arena at Beltring that was
under the auspices of the Greater London Council and proudly carrying the
slogan "Working for a nuclear free London" - certainly an odd choice of
collectors military vehicle. They were really an administrative
organisation I think rather than hands on rescue, to operate the country's
infrastructure in the event of nuclear war. I believe now disbanded.