Re: [MV] M1009 rear brake lines

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 07:31:44 PDT

I'm pretty sure that your truck uses all standard SAE (US) brake line
fittings and tubing. In fact I don't know if the American car/truck
companies ever went to metric fittings on the brakes. My 86 GMC 2 1/2
ton is all SAE (US) and uses 1/4 and 3/16 steel lines and fittings.

If you aren't sure. Bring in some of your old fittings to NAPA or
whoever and they will match them up.

FWIW, if you have rusty brake lines, just replace them now as they will
pop at the worst time. (Generally when you are heavy on the brake
pedal!) Also, I have seen brake lines that look fine, but beneath those
metal clips that GM used to hold the lines to the frame, the lines were
pitted with rust. They typically pop through at the clips.

Dave