Forwarded for the N.O. evacuee...

From: 69barracuda@mchsi.com
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 20:40:03 PDT

Please post this too (thanks!)
 Here's some more...
I'm back in the suburbs, (1 mile from the 17th street canal where the deep
water starts.) I'm mucking out houses but my contacts include Parish police,
Air Marshals, (yep) and a U.S Marshall. The best stories are from 3 guys I'm
staying with. MVPA and Mississippi Coastwatchers members. They've been working
2 Deuces, an M-275 and a 5 ton to help all takers. They travel armed and have
been offerred commisions. The stories are incredible. Last night they rescued a
local police deuce from a housing project (they started in the afternoon) a
National guard 5 ton tried but the lady driver panicked and gave up. The water
was over the intake on the stuck deuce so the 5 ton had to get within 60 feet
of strapping distance. A local with a flat boat was "encouraged" to help bring
the strap over. Let me assure you there are still bodies floating around. The 5
ton finally took water into the fuel tank and stalled. The other deuce was high
enough to pay out the winch cable but the weight of 2 trucks (one stuck in
muck,) popped 2 shear pins. Finally reversing did the trick, pulling both
trucks 3/4 of a mile to shallow water. On the way, cars were pushed out of the
way and signs etc knocked down. Oh yeah, the rescue deuce was loaded with
sharply dressed cops from an unnamed large city that didn't really want to be
in the water or around after dark, but they wanted to go on a photo op. They
were left high and dry. After the rescue, the running deuce took them and their
camera crew back to safety while the others worked to get the 5 ton running
again. Don't get me wrong, there may be hundreds of police and fire departments
and military units here and working hard. But there has been plenty for
civilians to help with. They've been called on by 5 different entities for
help. If you like, we'll give you the story on packing 43 people into an M-
105A2.
Thanks for listening....