Re: [MV] Vintage cannon: Can they be had?

From: Mike Davidsen (mike@aspirationsoftware.com)
Date: Thu Sep 08 2005 - 13:29:09 PDT

MV wrote:

> The stuff that the DOD still owns can be moved without the permission
> of the current holder of the items. There was a story a while back
> of a legion hall I believe in Bluffton, IN that lost a tank. The tank
> was transported to Wisconsin for restoration. At the time the
> restoring group was active on this list. There are several tanks in
> Indiana in front of legion halls just rusting away. One is right off
> of I-69 north of Indy. I see it about once a week.

Does anyone know the Army office in charge of keeping tabs of these
VFWs, and other places that have tanks and other pieces of gear used as
display pieces? I heard that since they are on an active search for
places that are not maintaining their tanks/artillery pieces/et al, they
are towing away the rustbuckets that are uncared for, and being towed to
places where they can be restored and taken care of.

Just wondering if there is an office to contact about this. There is a
VFW post south of me with an M56 Scorpion on display, that is rusting
badly, beer cans shoved down the barrel and all over the piece, looking
like a piece of junk. Would like to see it towed away and given to a
group that would appreciate it and take better care of this piece of
history. Thanks,

Mike