VIC-1 alternative

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 10 2005 - 18:35:08 PDT

Greetings friends. As some of you may know, I had VIC-1 intercoms in both my
deuces for a while. I found that FL was just too hot to use them with any
frequency and got tired of wires all over the cab. Also found that all but the
latest H-161 headsets were uncomfortable. I subsequently sold both intercom
systems and have clean cabs again. When I went to Aberdeen in May with my 3 yr
old I wished I had that VIC-1 back again. We did OK but sure would have been
nice to be able to ask him a question or two. I even tried to rig up
something with FRS radios and radio headsets to no avail. This has led me to my
latest project. Peltor is a world wide company that specializes in hearing
protection. My kids have used Peltor Jr headsets at the NHRA races for years.
Peltor makes a headset radio based on the old 49MHZ frequencies called the
litecom. Basically has 5 channels and VOX capable. While I was looking for these I
came up with the Peltor Powercom. This unit is also a headset radio but
operates on the FRS frequencies. These radios also have the sub channel privacy
code frequencies as well. The are quite expensive ranging from $425 to over $500
per headset depending on where you buy. I finally found a deal on a pair and
bought them. I took them out tonight and tried them with my son. They work
very good. You can use the PTT button or set up VOX. Even at 55 mph the road
noise didn't key up the VOX. Once you get used to the VOX delay, they are so
simple to use. Neat thing about these is you can communicate with any other FRS
radios and you can have your co pilot back you up using these. Range on high
power is probably near a mile and there is a low power setting which works
great as the intercom. Another neat feature is you can purchase a cell cable
or a listen only cable and pipe music in as well. They are much more comfy
than the H-161 headsets and can be used in different trucks. Also can be used
vehicle to vehicle. Not military but a great compromise and since they aren't
part of the vehicle, you can take them with you. I like em!
Kenny