Re: [MV] M1009 CUCV Batteries

From: Bruce C. Beattie (bruce@EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 20:22:58 PDT

Hi Don,
    The solargizers are intended to keep the sulphating at bay more than
keeping your battery topped off. I have one installed on my M1008. It
might be possible to get a brick that would duplicate the input
characteristics of the solar cell, but I am not sure it would end up
working the way you want. My suggestion is to get a ChargeTek 500, mount
it on the same piece of
metal that the nato connector mounts to. about an inch to the left and
down a little if I remember right. You will be able to look thru the
grill and see the little led on the chargetek. The battery wiring is
easily fed thru the same holes that the lights go thru if
I remember right. Take the power cord and wrap it around a piece of the
structure just below, it should be obvious. use black tie wraps to
secure it. The plug should hang down about an inch, but not easily
visible from the outside. Now all you need to do is take an extension cord ,
plug it into the wall and the other end to the chargetek cord. Remember
to wrap the end of the
extension cord around something solid in your garage, in case you forget
to unplug it when leaving.
This way you don't drag the extension cord to work with you. It should
just pop right off if you
set things up properly.

Let me know if you need any more details.

Bruce MVPA 23824