Re: [MV] 160AX Manifold Question

From: Dan Maguire (dmaguire@mchsi.com)
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 21:16:15 PDT

Greetings,

Despite my borderline insult of the 160AX engine (and typing block
instead of head), I got very helpful answers to my question of why the
160AX manifolds are interconnected the way they are. They were sent
directly so, in summary...

- The arrangement was popular with many manufacturers.
- Heat tranfer must have outweighed repair difficulty
   although the jury is still out on why a single gasket.
- Many recommended making my own. I have never done it and I
   appreciated the detailed descriptions of the process.

I didn't intend to appear down on the 160AX which is a wonderful engine.
  When I asked the question, I had just finished yanking one of my crabs
in preparation for a bogie wheel change and even my fingers were tired.

Thanks again,
Dan
Auburn, IN