Aviation MVs

From: Jim Zehr (jimm1009@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Sep 18 2005 - 10:02:47 PDT

I am looking for information from anyone that is
actively or recently active in OH-58A/C machines that
are now in the hands of public use organizations such
as a Sheriff or State Police Department.
I recently became acquainted with a small outfit in
Mississippi that has an OH-58A and no money/budget for
it's use. They have had it for three or four years
and are always solicting donations for fuel and parts.
What does not make sense it that they are a legitimate
organization existing for the purpose of protecting
the citizens of the area. If the Lousiana State
Police can literally dump their Bell 206L4/206B/407
machines on the market at the whim of the governor
because she does not like them (her butt does not fit
the seat cushions) and acquire brand new Bell 427
aircraft then there must be a way for money to flow to
these ohter departments.
Does anyone have knowledge of who to contact at the
federal level to apply for funding? This small
sherriff in MS has two "nuc plants" witin 80 miles of
each other and a sigificant amount of beach fron
property to defend too.
Further more, does anyone know of a way for to acquire
some TMs for their machine right away?
I'm sure that they can eventually get the proper
subscription program for their manuals but I'm looking
for a short term answer so that we can make their
machine safe to fly by starting the inspection program
soon. They are true public use so they do not have to
follow FAA guide lines but do wish to be safe. I am
an A&P/IA and will be helping them down their road to
success. Most urgently I need to obtain the times and
limitations for airframe and engine retireable
components and the unit level maintenance manuals for
both. Eventually I will need to acquire the MWOs and
all other documents related to the machine. Also a
list of the TBs and MWOs from the last 5 to 6 years
would help too.
They are helping FEMA from time to time around Lake
New Orleans so FEMA will also probably help with the
cash flow too.
Please e-mail me directly with any ideas.
Thanks,
Jim 1st address is heli-jim@cox.net
                2nd address is jimm1009@yahoo.com