CUCV Reality check

From: Ron (rojoha@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 10:42:33 PDT

Well, I figured I'd take the M1009 to the local super Chevy dealer and get
an estimate to get the truck professionally repaired using real GM/Mr.
GoodWrench parts.
    So, I drop the truck off, with instructions to pull the wheels and check
the brakes, and price out replacing the rear (ruptured and very rusty )
brake lines, replace both of the rear parking brake cables, and the exhaust
system (one muffler rotted out with flaky, leaking pipes on both sides) from
the manifolds back.
    Turns out they have seen a number of these from local towns and other
agencies along with several privately owned ones, so there was no problem on
their part.
    So, this AM I get a call with the estimate for making the puppy into a
quiet, stopping CUCV. All the brake lines are punky so they won't just trim
back to a good section. All lines need to go. I'm cool with that. Exhaust
system is available from GM parts, no problem there. All brake shoes and
pads look fine. Can have it done by 5 PM if I give the go ahead.
    All I gotta do is be ready to cough up $2100 and they'll start the
work....NOT!!!
    I tell them to button up the little darling and I'll pick her up this
PM. The estimate process only cost me $150,+ or - a smidgeon.
    So what did I really expect from a 20 year old civilian vehicle
masquerading as an army truck!

    Oh well, off to bring the hanger queen home and look for a more
'reasonable' shop.....

    Regards from, temporarily I hope,
    CyclopsRonzo, no relation to RAM (at least that I'm aware of....)