Re: [MV] free estimates AND THE B-25

From: Mr. Trapp (GotaM35@joetrapp.com)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 06:23:00 PDT

  "Gentlemen rest your sphincters!" (Hedley Lamar).

Local news here has had a lot on the bomber. Real cool stuff, I just wish I
could have brought it us and put it in my front yard. My brother in law,
the one that rode with me to Aberdeen 3 years ago, went by and saw it. I've
been to busy. I was only about a half mile from where they brought it up
last week but it didn't come up until the next day. Is that a day late and
a dollar short?

As for free estimates, I haven't had time to read everybody's post, so I
hope
I'm not repeating anything, but remember nothing is free and get it all on
paper. I have made the mistake of getting and giving estimates for work
with no written proof. That's fine with good honest people, but most people
are neither of those things. I usually give people prices based on time
spend on past jobs. Some times that works some times it don't. As for
doing work based on book time, if the shop is honest it works out ok. It's
like insurance. Some people never get any use out of it, but some people
collect a great deal when there is trouble. Install pipe by the foot. Sort
of flat rate. Some jobs go good, so don't. As a business owner we say
"take the good with the bad". The consumer is happy when they have the bad
work but pay the same as the good and only the jerks complain when they get
the good work but pay the same rate. Don't get me wrong, I'm not passing
judgment on any of you guys. I'm speaking only of my experience with cheap
builders. As for auto shop work, most places I go is a joke. My jeep
Wrangler has been in the show for 3 months at two places. And it just went
in for a little tune up. I sure wish I had taken the time to do that myself
now.

Joe Trapp
Blythewood, SC