Report of First Time Out Since Hurricane Rita

From: Floyd Petri (fpetri@eastex.net)
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 22:17:25 PDT

Well I had a full tank of gas that I bought the week before the hurricane
and finally ran out of gas to cut the old gas with for the generator and
decided that I had to go to Lufkin for gas for the generator or I was out of
the generator business with no lights or fans or anything. Too hot for a
serious heart patient and I did not want to evacuate. I might get mixed up
with those certain people and learn some bad habits if I did.

First I drove to Corrigan and it seemed normal. When I got to the only light
at HWY 287 and U.S. 59 I suddenly became the only car traveling North. The
South bound lanes were bumper to bumper and not moving. Being retired law
enforcement also it was obvious to me that the 4 highway patrolman in the
intersection directing traffic would not make a pimple on my ass when I
directed traffic. First 4 is too many. Too confusing. And why was traffic
not flowing? No one could make a decision who was to go or turn towards
Houston. Now all of a sudden two allowed me to turn right on 59 which had no
traffic. South bound traffic was bumper to bumper all the way to Diboll
where it begin to be normal. No cops in the intersections. I can say that
because I have 35 years as a law enforcement supervisor. In my day the
object was to keep traffic flowing and to clear the intersection. Today it
looked like a power trip and a beauty contest. I went pass many stations
selling gas for $261.9 which is what the radio said it should be after
dropping in price 20 cents a gallon. Well I finally got to the Chevron
Station (Only gas card I have) and the line was several blocks long and the
gas was $2.999 a gallon of gas and definately gouging was going on. Which I
had the number to report it. I made a decision to go to Super Walmarts and
use a Walmart Credit Card to buy money on a Shopping Card in order to get 3
cents off on a gallon priced at $2.61 a gallon which went up to $2.759
before I got to the pumps. I sat there all day waiting my turn and hours
later I had used half of a tank driving to Lufkin and waiting for gas.
Finally I got to buy only $40 worth of gas which was the allowed limit. I
filled my car and got an addition 7 gallons for the generator. When I
arrived back home I actually was a little less than 7 gallons down on my gas
tank so I actually ended up at home with less gas than I started with and
$40 short. Some trip huh.

I am about ready to attack the United States, then surrender and apply for
foreign aid. They should rebuild my house and property better than before
and make me a millionaire. It worked for Germany and Japan didn't it?

Floyd
Retired Sergeant U.S. Army