Re: [MV] Generator - bad gas

From: Paul Vandervort (pgv@mydb3.com)
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 09:58:03 PDT

apb

      Good try, but I checked for water, at least I did the fuel sample
check. I didn't see any water droplets in the bottom of the bottle that
I put about a pint into (I have done/do this quite a bit on corporate
aircraft and piston grinders). Might have been total water that smelled
like gas, but as if I remember correctly, it looked like gas, smelled
like it and evaporated like it. The crawler was garage kept too, and it
was in warm weather so condensation shouldn't played too much into it.

        Like I said, it is my Dad's crawler and as cheap as he gets it wouldn't
surprise me if he cut the gas with water (Heheheheee!! ;-@ )

about two years ago. He said Harley had put out a service letter
recommending to not store fuel more that six months. About three months
later they came out with another service letter indicating to not store
fuel more than three months. Word of mouth so take it with a grain of
salt, but I have seen that quality refining process that were all
subject to go bad in three months. Nowadays you really get your money's
worth huh?

        MV content: I have a GPW that the gas went bad in. Darn stuff almost
turned into tar on the bottom if the tank. Gas would get in the carb,
atomize and resolidify as tar on the bottom of the intake manifold! What
gas that did get by would loosen the "tar" and allow it to get on the
intake valve stems causing them to stick. THat sucked.

Sorry for being long winded.

Paul Vandervort
MVPA 437
INMVPA 007