Re: [MV] Generator - bad gas

From: ygmir (ygmir@onemain.com)
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 22:11:34 PDT

HI Randy,
In reference to your text ......

I would respectfully disagree.
Gas comes out of the tower at a given octane (quite low) Higher octane comes
from additives (lead, cadmium, etc.)
The higher up the tower, the more volatile the base fuel is.
Maybe they use gas that comes from higher it the tower to make avgas, etc. I
doubt it, though.
I'm thinking he's using the term "octane" to mean more explosive/volatile.
Which is wrong. A higher octane number means it'll burn slower, and not
pre-ignite under higher compression.
Also, the lighter the fuel (higher up the tower), the less BTU's per gallon.
It might explode easier (more volatile), but, with less heat for a given
amount of fuel. That's why diesel has more BTU's than gas for a given
volume. Heavier, denser, more energy..........
The reason race cars don't use low octane is (in my simple mind, anyway),
that, high octane allows higher compression, and, more advanced ignition
timing. The longer a given charge of fuel is allowed to burn, and, under
more compression, the more efficient and complete said burn is. Thereby
getting more power out of each explosion.
just more random thoughts, though..........your results may vary........
Henry