RE: [MV] E-85 fuel and multi-fuel ?

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 07:27:08 PDT

I have been running unwashed biodiesel in my '68 deuce. Got close to one
hundred hours on it.
Unwashed bio contains a couple of % of pure methanol, which may not be
healthy for some gaskets and copper lines in the long run.
Some engine companies will not let you run on E85, check out Cummins. Also
Bosch will void the warranty on the IP if any damage is traced back to using
alcohol blend diesel. Just Google it.
Alcohol in the diesel will "carry" water past the primary filter, which has
a water trap on the deuce and may cause damage to the injectors if present.

I'm starting to wash my biodiesel now, since I haven't felt too comfortable
with the effects of methanol and the slightly caustic unwashed bio. Mixed
with petro diesel, the effects are probably minimal, but my current 100% bio
is a different story.

The bottom line is that you are probably safe using E85 in the deuce, just
read up on the effects of the ethanol.
That should be confusing enough for anybody. :-)

Bjorn
MVPA19212
Meadows of Dan, Virginia